Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Davy Upper

Davy Upper
Dec 2015: After restored memories brought on by restored work in this account, I'm, afraid I was wrong to say that Saturday Night Live wrote Debbie Downer. I'm afraid I wrote that sketch and it was inspired by my own sulky nature. Oh well, I guess you can see how clued out I still was about the immensity of their fraud in early 2013.

I can tell you one SNL sketch that didn't come from me. Debbie Downer. That's the one about the girl that spoils the party with all her depressing remarks.

We write with more authority about our own experiences, and I have not gone to many parties in my life. But I imagine that the authors of that sketch party all the time. So they know all about how to behave at a party.

I gather that they want people to think that depression impedes comedy. But isn't this sketch drawn from their suffering? They went to a party and someone wasn't celebrating enthusiastically enough, I gather, so they suffered. And consider the words of one of their own alumni. I recall reading an interview in which Mike Myers was asked why he was so funny. He responded with, 'Isn't it obvious that I am an open wound?' Doesn't sound very cheerful. And I know exactly what he meant by it.

The very best punchlines come from suffering. You need to be in the dark before you can see the ray of light that comes to you in the form of a laugh. Whenever I have such an experience, I want to share it with others because I know that they suffer too. I want to help them endure their suffering with my findings. This is my nature.

Some of my experiences include working in dead end jobs like those in the Vagisil Plant or the Ouija Board factory, being on welfare, calling the suicide prevention line and getting no answer, and staying home on weekends with nothing to do but watch old reruns of The Twilight Zone. I'm not saying it's greater than your suffering, but it is my suffering and it is deeply personal.

From this one might conclude that the way to keep me productive is to hold me in the grip of poverty. Money has nothing to do with my particular suffering. It comes from being 'gifted' with insights that separate me from others, and it will stay with me to the end of my life, whether I am rich or poor.

A laugh feels great. A laugh is a smile that is overflowing. But the price that an artist pays to produce a laugh is not very funny at all.

By the way, I wonder who the real inspiration for this sketch was. You'd have to ask them but my guess is Mike Myers. His name rhymes.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2013. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment